It’s the heat of summer and you may be struggling to sleep well if you don’t have an air conditioned place to live. Sleep can be challenging for many of us due to the anxieties of daily life, but when it’s sticky and hot, it’s especially hard to get a good night’s sleep.
The key is finding ways to cool down before bed, and creating a cooler space to sleep. Here are 10+ ways to sleep better in the heat:
- If your house has a decent basement or air conditioned room(s), sleep there instead.
- Consider sleeping outside which may be cooler than the inside of your home.
- Make sure your sheets and pajamas are made from lighter fabrics.
- Put your pillowcase in the freezer in the evening. It will create a cooling sensation in bed.
- Stay hydrated with water which cools the body down.
- Have ice water or an ice pack close by your bed to cool yourself down.
- Take a cold bath or submerge yourself in a cold pool before bed. It always feels less hot after we’re in cold water.
- Soak your feet in ice water before bed.
- Buy a good window fan which circulates air better. Multiple fans are even better and can create a nice breeze in your room.
- Sleep alone if possible. Sharing a bed can increase heat.
- Wear yourself out during the day which can help you sleep in any circumstance. Regular exercise is a great way to do this.
And if nothing else works, try this: Meditate on the blessing of warmth and it can help change your agitation with the heat. Remember, months ago we desired warmth vs. cold — and the cold will return in just a few months.
In the meantime, stay cool and stay rested!
By: Katie Talarico