A delicious low carb breakfast bacon spinach egg cup with crumbles of feta in every bite. You’ll love this healthy make-ahead breakfast that’s packed with protein and takes just 30 minutes to make. Easily made paleo, too!
- 10 slices good-quality bacon (from 1 package of bacon)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 3 cups packed organic spinach
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk will work)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup feta or goat cheese crumbles (or any cheese you’d like)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add bacon slices to muffin pan (we’re only using 10 of the muffin cups) and wrap bacon in a circle around the edges of the tin. The bacon will likely overlap a bit, but that’s okay. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, you can saute your veggies: In a large skillet, add in olive oil, garlic and mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes or until mushrooms cook down and begin to turn a slight golden brown. Once that happens, add in spinach and cook for another 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and almond milk. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When bacon is done cooking, remove from oven and rearrange the slices. You can drain some of the grease if you’d like but it I like to keep it in because it helps the muffins not stick to the pan. Most likely they will have shrunk up during baking; simply pull the slices back with a fork towards the edges so that’s there’s enough room to add in the veggies and egg mixture.
- Evenly distribute veggies between each muffin cup, then pour egg mixture in each cup, filling a little more than halfway, or so that there is even distribution. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Once done, cool for two minutes, then run the edge of a knife around each egg cup and remove from pan. Serve with a side of avocado slices. Makes 10 egg cups. 1 serving = 2 egg cups.