By Allie Schneider
Good for you and your wallet!
2 cups water, plus more for soaking lentils
1 cup of dry red lentils
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small to medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated OR 1/2 teaspoon dry ground ginger
1 teaspoon tumeric
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
- Sort the lentils (remove any rocks or strangely colored lentils).
- Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear.
- Soak the lentils for 2-4 hours in the same pot you will cook them in. Cover the pot with a lid or towel to make sure no dust or hair gets in there!
- After they are done soaking, drain the lentils.
- Combine the lentils, 1 ½ cups of water, garlic, onion, and ginger in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once they begin to boil, turn the heat down so that the lentils are lightly simmering and cook them for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more water to ensure that the lentils don’t dry out, if needed.
- Once the lentils are fully cooked and tender, add the salt, tumeric, and cumin and stir.
- The dish is ready to serve!
- Serve with cauliflower rice, quinoa, salad, or brown rice
Nutrition (per serving and based off of the use of red lentils):
Protein: 13 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Dietary Fiber: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Sodium: 600 milligrams
Walmart sells a 16 oz bag of dry lentils for $0.98. → $0.08 per serving of lentils in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells a 26 oz container of salt for $0.38 → $0.0002 per serving of salt in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells yellow onions for $0.38 each → $0.10 per serving of onions in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells bulbs of garlic for $0.60 each → $0.06 per serving of garlic in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells ginger root for $1.00 each → $0.05 per serving of ginger in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells a 6 oz bag of tumeric for $5.99 → $0.04 per serving of tumeric in the lentil dal.
Walmart sells a 5.5 oz jar of cumin for $5.39 → $0.02 per serving of cumin in the lentil dal.
**Cost per serving: $0.35, Total cost: $1.40 (The total cost does not include the cost of buying all the ingredients at the store. Total cost only considers the amounts used in this recipe)