By Jo Ann Reese
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, 8 ounces, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten 1/3 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water by 2-inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots. Cook until both the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Transfer the potatoes and carrots to a large bowl and add the sugar, butter, ginger, zest, and cinnamon. Mash until well combined and slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg whites and transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle with the nuts and bake until well puffed and hot through, about 30 minutes.