The holidays are meant to be a time filled with joy, but sometimes the stress of fitting everything in and balancing celebrating with taking care of ourselves can be overwhelming. Here are some quick tips to help you navigate the holidays so this season leaves you feeling happy and healthy.
- Don’t skip meals in order to “save calories”. Skipping meals will only leave you feeling ravenous and make it harder to make healthy decisions when you finally allow yourself to eat.
- Decide what is worth the temptation. Not every Christmas cookie tastes as good as we want it to be. Decide in advance what treats, savory or sweet, you are most excited about and commit in advance to skip the rest.
- Remember what the season is about. The reason we are all together is to celebrate with our close friends and family. It’s not about the food or the drinks. Try to keep this in mind and make conversation and quality time your priority over food. You can do this by setting goals with yourself- for example, you can have dessert after you catch up and chat with two of your cousins.
- Stay hydrated. This time of year it’s especially important to make sure you’re drinking enough water. Thirst is often hard to distinguish from hunger and at a time of year when food is so readily available everywhere keeping water with you and drinking enough is a great way to help sideline mindless snacking.
- Slow down your eating. Just like making visiting a priority instead of food, make sure that when you are eating you’re taking your time to enjoy it and not just rushing to the clean plate club. You can do this by focusing on taking a deep breath in between every bite or so.