By: Heather McCormick
This time of year the garden is producing tons of basil which naturally makes us think of PESTO! There’s no sauce more versatile and satisfying than pesto. You can serve it hot and poured over whole grain or gluten-free pasta, or serve it cold and spread on a sandwich, or toss it in a delicious superfood bowl like this recipe with quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach! You can keep it vegetarian or top it off with grilled chicken or shrimp – time to enjoy this flavorful Summer dish!
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Hot water
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- wedge of lemon (optional)
For Homemade Pesto:
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (or coarsely chopped pine nuts)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp. parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast to keep Vegan)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
****You can purchase store-bought pesto, just make sure to check the ingredients label!****
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in water for 30 minutes. Drain well; slice thinly. Set aside.
- To make pesto, place basil, hemp seeds (or pine nuts), garlic, cheese (or yeast), salt, pepper, and water in a blender. Pulse until coarsely ground. Slowly add oil. Blend until smooth (or until desired consistency is reached). Set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Combine quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, and spinach in a large serving bowl; toss gently to blend.
- Squeeze a lemon on top for a touch of extra freshness! (Optional)